The best thing about Fall is the baking! I love the festive smells that take over my kitchen every year - apples, cinnamon, pumpkin, and cardamom to name a few. Those amazing scents wouldn't be possible without some delicious recipes that have withstood the test of time. My mother-in-law introduced me to her famous pumpkin bread during the first Fall I spent in her home. This particular recipe was given to her almost 25 years ago and remains a seasonal favorite.
Pumpkin Bread (recipe makes 2 loaves or 2 dozen muffins)
- 4 cups flour
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 15oz can pumpkin
- 2/3 cup water
- 4 eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix all dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Make a well in the flour mixture and pour in the vegetable oil.
- Add pumpkin and cold water. Blend well.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Pour batter into well-greased loaf pans.
- For 2 loaves, bake for 1 hour. Test readiness with a toothpick; toothpick will come out dry when bread is ready
- For 2 dozen muffins, check at 30 minutes. Test readiness with a toothpick; toothpick will come out dry when muffins are ready.